Additional Contact Info
- FAX 604 899 5216
- Michelle El
- TEL604 899 5202
Christopher Schuld is a Vancouver-based litigator with broad experience in civil litigation and a practice that is focused on construction, real property disputes, defect warranties, and surety bonds. Along with considerable trial experience, Chris has an active alternative dispute resolution practice and regularly navigates complex, multi-party litigation.
Chris has acted as litigation counsel, claims counsel, and solicitor for surety and new home warranty providers throughout western Canada. Additionally, Chris has acted for owners, contractors, and consultants in construction disputes ranging from residential housing to complex commercial and industrial projects. Chris has extensive experience in debt recovery and drafting commercial agreements for creditors.
Chris is actively committed to both the practice of law and to supporting the wider community, serving on the board of directors of the Nanaimo Affordable Housing Society. He is the past Vice-Chair of the Canadian Bar Association Products Liability Subsection and presents a quarterly legal update to the Surety Association of Canada, BC chapter.
Chris spent his first five years as a lawyer in the construction litigation group of Canada’s largest national law firm, where his practice included builders liens, delay and payment claims, leaky building disputes, banking litigation, and sports and entertainment representation. He then spent over three years as in-house counsel for an international insurance company, where he dealt with surety and new home warranty matters. Those years as an in-house lawyer provided Chris with valuable experience in client service, providing first-hand appreciation of the challenges that clients face.
Events & Seminars
- Case Law Update For Insurance Clients – Special Costs On Duty To Defend Cases
- Indemnity Recovery Actions: Use of Summary Trials and Document Production Obligations
- 2019 Q1 Legal Update for the Surety Association of Canada, BC Chapter
- From Bad Faith to Good Faith, Honestly
- How the White Burgess v. Abbott decision impacts expert retainers
- Surety Association of Canada – 28th Annual General Meeting & Awards Gala Dinner
- April 2019 Surety Association of Canada, BC Regional Committee – Legal Update
- Case Comments on Strata Plan 4249 v. Travelers 2018 BCSC 114
- Practical implications of the Valard v. Bird Supreme Court of Canada decision
- Getting Paid: How to Create and Enforce Commercial Agreements
- Christopher A. Schuld and Mark Tweedy Presented to Representatives of BC new home warranty providers on 14 June 2017
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Benchmark Litigation: recognized as a Litigation Future Star in 2018 and 2019
- Board Member of the Nanaimo Affordable Housing Society
- Member and Presenter (Legal Update) – Surety Association of Canada, BC Chapter
- Vice Chair of the CBA Products Liability Subsection, 2014 – 2016