Additional Contact Info
- FAX 604 899 5216
- Kathlene Baliong
- TEL604 899 5236
- Motor Vehicle, Rail & Trucking
- Life & Disability
- Product Liability
- Personal Injury Defence
- LLM, University of Cambridge, 1998
- LLB, University of Toronto, 1993
- BA (History), University of British Columbia, 1990
- England and Wales (Solicitor), 1998
- British Columbia, 1995
Angus M. Gunn QC is a seasoned and versatile advocate who provides Canadian and international clients with strategic counsel and highly experienced representation. His commercial disputes practice emphasizes appellate advocacy, arbitration proceedings (and related litigation), public and administrative law matters, and other corporate commercial disputes. He joined Eyford Partners following several decades at a Canadian national law firm. In 2012, Angus was appointed Queen’s Counsel in recognition of his substantial contributions to the legal profession.
An experienced advocate, Angus has appeared at all levels of court in British Columbia, with well over 100 appearances in the Court of Appeal for British Columbia. His related experience includes multiple appearances in the Supreme Court of Canada and other Canadian superior appellate courts. He also represents clients in proceedings before various arbitral and administrative tribunals and accepts appointments as counsel and neutral in arbitration and mediation matters. He is the immediate past-President of the Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society (WCCAS), and since 2017 has co-chaired the Arbitration Advisory Group established by the Attorney General of British Columbia.
Every major legal directory recognizes Angus as a leading advocate. Chambers Canada lists him in the areas of arbitration and administrative and public law, noting his long-standing dispute resolution practice, significant experience in appellate cases and arbitration, and additional expertise in administrative law. Chambers Global recognizes Angus for his skill in arbitration. He is also listed in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada in the areas of administrative and public law, alternative dispute resolution, appellate practice, corporate and commercial litigation, insurance law, and international arbitration. In 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2021, Best Lawyers designated Angus as the Vancouver Appellate Practice Lawyer of the Year. The 2021 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory lists Angus as a leading practitioner for commercial arbitration and regulatory and public law litigation. Benchmark Canada has ranked him as a “British Columbia Litigation Star” in the areas of commercial litigation and arbitration every year since 2014. Angus holds the highest client review rating conferred by Martindale-Hubbell®: AV Preeminent.
In addition to maintaining an active practice, Angus has frequently lectured for two decades at the University of British Columbia’s Peter A. Allard School of Law. UBC students have selected him on three occasions to receive the award for outstanding teaching by an Adjunct Professor. Angus views pro bono as an integral part of the practice, and he has made substantial contributions to the community over many years. In 2016, he was selected to receive the Canadian National Pro Bono Distinguished Service Award. He presents regularly to the ADR Institute of Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, and other organizations. Since 2004 he has been an Honorary Overseas Member of the Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR), based in London, England.
Carter v. Canada (Attorney General),  1 S.C.R. 331, 2015 SCC 5: Constitutional challenge to blanket criminal law prohibition on physician-assisted dying.
CE International Resources Holdings LLC v. Yeap, 2013 BCSC 1804: Recognition and enforcement of emergency and final arbitral awards rendered under the ICDR International Dispute Resolution Rules and Procedures.
Trapp v. British Columbia, 2018 BCSC 580: Defense of Province against proposed class action claims in conspiracy and conversion.
Democracy Watch v. British Columbia (Attorney General), 2017 BCSC 1303: Representation of Province in application for judicial review of environmental assessment certificate issued in relation to Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion Project.
Metcalfe Estate v. Yamaha Motor Powered Products Co., Ltd., 2012 ABCA 240: Representation of foreign defendants challenging validity of service abroad of legal process where Hague Service Convention governed.
Tyson Creek Hydro Corporation v. Kerr Wood Leidal Associates Ltd., 2014 BCCA 17: Representation of plaintiff resisting extension of time for issuance of third-party notice by defendant to construction dispute.View all of Angus's Cases
- Recognized in the 2017 and 2016 editions of Chambers Canada — Canada’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (Band 3), Dispute Resolution: British Columbia (Band 4)).
- Recognized in the 2017 edition (and since 2012) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Administrative and Public Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Appellate Law, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, International Arbitration).
- Recognized in the 2017 (and since 2013) editions of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Commercial Arbitration and Public Law Litigation).
- Listed in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal (Arbitration).
- Recognized in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 editions of the Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers in Canada (International Commercial Arbitration).
- Recognized in the 2015 edition of the Lexpert®/Report on Business Litigation Special Edition as a leading litigator.
- Recognized as the 2017 and 2015 “Vancouver Appellate Practice Law Lawyer of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in Canada®.
- Recognized in the 2016 and 2015 editions of Benchmark Canada – The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys as a “Local Litigation Star: British Columbia” and a “Litigation Star: Arbitration, Commercial”.
- Recognized as a leading Canadian lawyer in the 2014 edition of Lexpert® Special Edition on Litigation Lawyers.
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2012.
- Martindale-Hubbell™ 5 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.
- Adam S. Albright Award for Outstanding Teaching by an Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia Faculty of Law, 2013, 2008, and 2005.
- Harry Rankin, QC Pro Bono Award, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch), 2008.
- Co-Chair, Arbitration Advisory Group to Attorney General of British Columbia, 2017-present
- Member, Western Canada Commercial Arbitration Society (WCCAS), 2008-present (President and Chair, 2013-present)
- Member, ICC Canada National Committee, 2010-present
- Member, London Court of International Arbitration, 2002-present
- Member, ADR Institute of Canada, Inc. (including roster of approved arbitrators), 1999-present; Director, 2006-09
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) (London, England), 2006-present (Member, 1999-2006)
- Honorary Overseas Member, Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR) (London, England), 2011-present
- Director, Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP), 2005-2012
- Accredited Mediator, Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR), 2012-present
- Tribunal Member, British Columbia Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT), 2015-present