Additional Contact Info

  • FAX 604 899 5216
  • Vancouver

Almira's Assistant


  • LLB, University of Victoria (2003)
  • BA, University of British Columbia (1999)

Bar Admissions

  • British Columbia, 2005

Almira Esmail is a Vancouver-based lawyer who practises in the area of insurance, bodily injury (motor vehicle, Occupiers Liability, and sports and recreation claims), property and casualty claims, and general civil litigation. She has a keen interest in commercial matters including construction and business disputes. 

Almira has obtained a broad breadth of litigation experience since her call to the BC bar in 2005, including working as a drug prosecutor for the Federal Crown, and several years of plaintiff-side personal injury prior to switching her focus to insurance defence litigation. Almira’s experience working on both the plaintiff and defence sides of litigation enables her to objectively assess the strengths and weaknesses of each case, which leads to accurate risk assessment and a strategically positive outcome for her client.

She aims to resolve matters for her clients in the most efficient manner possible. She is experienced with alternative dispute resolution, having successfully mediated many claims including complex multi-party matters. Where a favourable settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, she advocates effectively for her client in BC Supreme Court.

Almira’s advocacy skills were initially honed and recognized while she was a law student at the University of Victoria where she and her teammate won the regional McIntyre Cup/Western Canada Moot and then went on to also win the National Finals for the Sopinka Cup. At the Sopinka competition, which was held in Ottawa in 2002, Almira received the individual awards of Best Cross-Examination, Best Closing Address to Jury, and Best Oral Advocate Overall.

Notable Cases
  • Notable Cases

  • Recognition

  • Associations

  • Notable Cases
    • Khademolhosseini v Ji, 2019 BCSC 854. The court awarded damages in excess of $485,000 in this trial in which Almira was co-counsel for the plaintiff.
    • Richmond v. Channa, 2014 BCSC 1764. This was a liability trial arising from a 2-vehicle crash in Surrey; one of the drivers had failed to see a stop sign because it had been obscured by fencing put up by a construction company. After a four-day trial, the Supreme Court judge held that the construction company was 75% liable and the other driver was 25% liable for the accident. No liability was found on the part of Almira’s client.
    • Abbott v. Gerges, 2014 BCSC 1329. Almira was co-counsel for the plaintiff in this complicated 9-day trial for a 59-year old woman who had pre-existing health issues and also suffered a subsequent fall which caused some injuries. The plaintiff was awarded damages for the rear-end motor vehicle accident totalling $246,044 plus costs.
    View all of Almira's Cases
  • Recognition
    • Sopinka Cup National Trial Advocacy Competition (Ottawa, 2002). Individual awards received: Best Cross-Examination, Best Closing Address to Jury, Best Oral Advocate Overall. This competition is sponsored by the American College of Trial Lawyers.
    • McIntyre Cup/Western Canada Moot competition (Vancouver, 2002)
    • J.S.D. Tory Prize for Advocacy (2002)
    • Davis & Company Shield and Book Prize (2002)
  • Associations
    • Member, Law Society of British Columbia